Connect with us

Cricket Lounge

Euro T20 Slam player draft to take place in London on July 19

Published

on

The Euro T20 Slam was launched with much fanfare in Dublin last month with cricketing legends Dilip Vengsarkar (L) and Wasim Akram.

Mumbai:  The much anticipated players’ draft for the inaugural Euro T20 Slam will take place in London on July 19, 2019. Around 700 players from 22 nations have registered for the draft through the official website of the Euro T20 Slam from May 27-June 30, 2019. The names of the players from Ireland, Scotland and the Netherlands will be given from their respective cricket boards. Each icon player will have US $135,000 to his kitty while each marquee player will fetch US $115,000. The league will get underway from August 30 in Amsterdam and will end on September 22 later this year.

Each of the six franchises can pick a minimum of five and a maximum of seven overseas players from the price category of US $80,000, US $65,000, US $50,000, US $35,000 and US $20,000. Local players from Ireland, Scotland and The Netherlands will be available at a price purse of US $35,000, US $20,000 and US $10,000 and a franchise will have to pick at least nine local players.

As per the league guidelines, each team will have to play at least six local players and a maximum of five overseas players in the playing eleven.

All six franchises–Amsterdam Knights, Rotterdam Rhinos, Edinburgh Rocks, Glasgow Giants, Dublin Chiefs and Belfast Titans—will be given an opportunity to pre decide their icon players and marquee players. The icon players are Martin Guptill, Brendon McCullum, Eoin Morgan, Shahid Afridi, Shane Watson and Rashid Khan while the marquee players are Dale Steyn, JP Duminy, Imran Tahir, Chris Lynn, Babar Azam and Luke Ronchi.

Some of the top players who have registered for the draft are Ben Cutting, Sarfaraz Ahmed, Mustafizur Rahman, Kusal Perera, Angelo Mathews, Mohammad Amir, Fakhar Zaman, Shaheen Afridi, Colin Ingram and Tymal Mills. The list of all the registered players will be released soon.

The live broadcast of the draft will be on the ET20s social media platforms 2:30 PM (IST) onwards.

Mr. Prashant Mishra, Woods Entertainment, promoter of the league said, “We are thrilled to receive several entries for the draft from across the globe. Having seen the interest of so many players in the inaugural Euro T20 Slam, I can already feel that the league will be a grand success. We are also looking forward to welcoming all the franchise owners, our board members of the advisory committee and some of the key players at the draft.”

Cricket Lounge

BCCI begins hunt for new coach, incumbent Shastri eligible as auto entry

Published

on

Ravi Shastri and Co. have been given an extension of 45 days beyond the World Cup.

New Delhi: The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) on Tuesday invited applications for the positions of head coach, batting coach, bowling coach, fielding coach, physio, strength and conditioning coach and administrative manager for the Indian team. Current head coach Ravi Shastri and his team will get an automatic entry into the recruitment process.

The release from the BCCI said: “The interested candidates have to send in their application(s) on or before July 30, 2019, by 5 p.m. at recruitment@bcci.tv.

“Pertinent to note, that the decision of the BCCI for the said position, will remain final and binding.”

It will be interesting to note that the last time, the deadline had to be extended as final choice — Shastri — had not applied for the position till the deadline got over. In fact, it was believed that former India opener Virender Sehwag was among the most eligible candidates from the new set of applicants apart from then coach Anil Kumble. Like Shastri this time, Kumble had an auto entry into the process.

Speaking to , a BCCI functionary confirmed the same. “Yeah, we did extend the deadline last time due to certain reasons. Hopefully the same won”t be required this time.”

The current coaching staff were handed a 45-day extension after their tenure ended with the World Cup. Assistant coach Sanjay Bangar is under the scanner after India”s exit in the World Cup and the inability to find a number four batsmen over the last two seasons.

Continue Reading

Cricket Lounge

No one lost, yet there was a winner in World Cup final: Williamson

Published

on

Kane Williammson has been named the player of the tournament.

London: Coming to terms with the heart-wrenching defeat against England in the World Cup title clash, New Zealand captain Kane Williamson said that “no one lost the final but there was a crowned winner”.

On Sunday, Black Caps missed an opportunity to win their first World Cup after losing on boundary count to England in the finals as the match as well as the Super Over ended in ties.

England scored 26 boundaries in total in the entire duration of the match as compared to 17 by the Black Caps and were thus crowned as champions.

“At the end of the day nothing separated us, no one lost the final, but there was a crowned winner and there it is,” Williamson told Newstalk ZB on Tuesday.

He said the World Cup final was “pretty tough to get your head around – I think it will take time to reflect with a rational mind”.

He said that it was a real good effort from his team to get to the knockout stage. New Zealand, who were cruising at one stage, lost their last three round-robin games and it was on superior net run-rate that they managed to book a place in the semifinals.

They then went on defeat India in the semifinals to set up a title date with England.

“It was a really good effort to get knockout stages,” he said.

“We were forced to play a style of game because of the conditions and adopted that really well. We thought it took us all the way but it was not to be.

“The rules are the rules and we all try and play by them as did England who also had a very good campaign,” the Black Caps skipper added.

Continue Reading

Cricket Lounge

ICC should consider ‘sharing’ World Cup, says New Zealand coach

Published

on

Englnd beat New Zealand on boundary count after the match was tied after the Super Over.

London: New Zealand head coach Gary Stead believes the possibility of sharing the World Cup is something that “should be considered” by the International Cricket Council (ICC) after the Black Caps lost to England in the finals of the 2019 World Cup at Lord”s.

On Sunday, two dramatic run-outs in the final over of England”s innings took the game into a Super Over with the scores tied on 241 after the end of 50 overs against New Zealand. However, with the Super Over also ending in a tie, the winner of the showpiece event was decided by the number of boundaries scored.

England scored 26 boundaries in total in the entire duration of the match as compared to 17 by the Black Caps and were thus crowned as champions.

Asked during a media interaction at the team hotel whether he would have preferred New Zealand being declared joint winners, Stead was open to the suggestion.

“Perhaps when you play over a seven-week period and can’t be separated on the final day, that is something should be considered as well,” ESPNcricinfo quoted Stead as saying.

“But again that’s one consideration over a whole lot of things that went on over the World Cup. Everything will be reviewed, and I think that it”s a good time to do it now. But probably just let the dust settle for a while.”

However, Craig McMillan, New Zealand’s batting coach believed that sharing the trophy would have been the “right thing” to do.

“It is not going to change yesterday’s result. But what is probably fair to say at the end of seven weeks in a big tournament like this, when you have two teams can’t be separated after a 50-over match and then a Super Over and neither team did actually lose in many ways in terms of runs scored,” said McMillan.

“Then perhaps sharing the trophy would be the right thing to do. It wasn’t to be yesterday, which we all are disappointed with. But it is sport and those were the rules.”

Earlier, many former cricketers like Gautam Gambhir, Dean Jones, Brett Lee, Yuvraj Singh and others criticised the ICC for the boundary rule.

Both Stead and McMillan were confident the ICC would review whether the Super Over was indeed the best way to deal with the scenario like a tie in a World Cup final.

“Small margin this, isn’t it? I don”t know that rule to be perfectly honest. I have played a lot of games of cricket, watched a lot of cricket — overthrows have just been added to what has been run as opposed to the point of the throw coming in. So, again, it will be something that will be something debated, discussed, but again it doesn’t change the result,” said McMillan.

Speaking after the match, New Zealand skipper Kane Williamson had also said that it was a “real shame” that the final of the showpiece event was decided in such a way.

Continue Reading

Top Picks