Auckland: H.S. Prannoy hogged all the limelight after he stunned Tommy Sugiarto in straight games to sail into the men’s singles quarter finals of the New Zealand Open badminton tournament on Thursday.
Unseeded Prannoy shocked second seed Sugiarto 21-14, 21-12 in 37 minutes to book his place in the last-eight round. He will take on fifth seed Kanta Tsuneyama of Japan in the quarters.
But the day started on a bad note for India as B Sai Praneeth was blown away by star shuttler Lin Dan of China 12-21, 12-21. Seventh seed Lin Dan moved to the quarters where he will be up against top seed Anthony Sinisuka Ginting of Indonesia.
For Prannoy, this was his maiden meeting against world no. 13 Sugiarto.
Once Prannoy seized the initiative and took a 7-3 lead, there was no looking back as he extended it to 11-4.
The Indian did well to close out the game at 21-14, and in the second game too braved a Sugiarto onslaught where he took the initial lead at 4-2, but Prannoy came back strongly to not only level the scores but nose ahead with four consecutive winners to take a 8-4 lead.
After taking the lead, Prannoy showed composure to seal the contest in his favour.
Meanwhile, Indian men’s doubles pair of Manu Attri and Sumeeth B Reddy finished second best against seventh seeds Goh V Shem and Tan Wee Kiong of Malaysia 17-21, 19-21 in the second round.
On Wednesday, young Chinese shuttler Wang Zhiyi caused a major upset as the 19-year-old outclassed World no. 9 Saina Nehwal in a first round match.
Malaysian badminton star Lee Chong Wei retires after cancer battle
Putrajaya (Malaysia): Ace Malaysian shuttler Lee Chong Wei on Thursday announced his retirement after waging a battle with nose cancer. With this, his 19-year long illustrious career also came to a halt.
Lee, 36, was keen to return to the court post treatment. The shuttler, who spent a total of 348 weeks as world number one announced his retirement in a teary-eyed press conference.
“My decision to retire is a heavy one. I really love this sport. But it is a demanding sport,” Lee told mediapersons. He further said that he would now like to rest and spend time with his family, and even take his wife on a ‘honeymoon’.
A father of two, Lee was diagnosed with early-stage nose cancer last year and had received intensive treatment in Taiwan.
— BWF (@bwfmedia) June 13, 2019
“I have no regrets. More important is my health, the decision to retire is very tough,” said Lee.
Lee also informed that his cancer treatment was now over. “My plan to retire was originally after the Olympic Games. I made this decision due to my health,” he explained.
Terming Lee as a ‘legend’, Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) Chief Norza Zakaria, who was also present at the presser, said: “It is a sad day. Lee is a legend and very dependable. We accept his decision.”
Earlier in 2018, Lee had bagged gold at the Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast (Australia). He has won 69 international titles and is a three-time Olympic silver medallist.
Sindhu, Praneeth crash out of Australian Open
Sydney: Star Indian shuttler P.V. Sindhu got knocked out of the ongoing $150,000 Australian Open World Tour Super 300 tournament after suffering a defeat to Thailand’s Nitchaon Jindapol in the second round on Thursday.
Sindhu, who had defeated Indonesia’s Choirunnisa in the opening round, lost 19-21, 18-21 to Jindapol in a match that lasted for around 50 minutes.
Meanwhile, in the men’s singles, sixth-seeded Sameer Verma also bowed out of the competition after suffering a 16-21, 21-7, 13-21 defeat in the second round against Taiwan’s Wang Tzu Wei.
B. Sai Praneeth, who had reached the finals of the Swiss Open this year, also lost his second-round match to Indonesia’s Anthony Sinisuka Ginting 23-25, 9-21.
In men’s doubles, the Indian pair of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty also exited the tournament getting beaten by Chinese pair of Li Junhui and Liu Yuchen 19-21, 18-21.
H.S. Prannoy and women’s doubles duo of Ashwini Ponnappa and Sikki Reddy had also crashed out of the tournament after losing their respective first-round matches on Wednesday.
The mixed doubles pair of Ashwini Ponnappa and Satwiksairaj Rankireddy had also gone down fighting against Wang Chi-Lin and and Cheng Chi Ya of Chinese Taipei 17-21, 21-12, 16-21.
India beaten by China, out of Sudirman Cup badminton tourney
Nanning: India crashed out of the Sudirman Cup mixed team badminton championships after losing 0-5 to China in the second and final Group -1D match at Nanning in China today.
India’s mixed doubles pair of Pranaav Jerry Chopra and N Sikki Reddy lost to Chinese combination of Wang Yilyu and Huang Dongping 5-21 11-21 to trail 0-1.
Sameer Verma, who took the court after Kidambi Srikanth suffered a minor injury during practice sessions, lost to Olympic champion Chen Long 17-21 20-22 in the men’s singles as India slumped to 0-2 deficit.
After defeating Malaysia hosts China 🇨🇳 stride past India 🇮🇳 and march on in style to seal spot in quarters of TOTAL BWF Sudirman Cup 2019 🏸
— BWF (@bwfmedia) May 22, 2019
The pair of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty was beaten by the world no 7 duo of Han Chengkai and Zhou Haodong 21-18 15-21 17-21 in the men’s doubles to draw curtains to India’s campaign.
Saina Nehwal then went down 12-21 17-21 to All England Champion Chen Yufei in women’s singles match, while World no 3 women’s doubles pair of Chen Qingchen and Jia Yifan beat Ashwini Ponnappa and Sikki 21-12 21-15.
India had lost to Malaysia, 2-3 in their opening Group-1D match on Tuesday. India have never won a medal in the tournament. It reached the quarterfinals in 2011 and 2017.
India brush aside South Africa to win FIH Series Finals
Top 5 controversial moments in Indo-Pak encounters
Australia crush Sri Lanka to go top in World Cup
Dearth of technically sound players hurting Indian football
Report exposes plunder of BCCI money, CoA silent since more than two years
Sad that AIFF has taken I-League clubs for granted: Salgaocar
Football Lounge3 weeks ago
Sad that AIFF has taken I-League clubs for granted: Salgaocar
Football Lounge2 weeks ago
Igor Stimac’s reign as India coach begins with stiff test at King’s Cup
Opinion6 days ago
THE DIRTY DOZEN: REDEFINING MASTERY
Opinion4 weeks ago
Is AIFF employing a divide and rule policy for I-League clubs?
News3 weeks ago
NADAL’S QUEST FOR H12STORY AT FRENCH OPEN
Cricket Lounge2 days ago
Tendulkar shares tips to tackle Amir-led Pak bowlers
Brand Lounge3 days ago
Kapil Dev-backed Apne11 launched, more fantasy sports leagues in the pipeline
Sports Lounge Exclusive1 week ago
Not just blind faith: Lahiri can sense his game turning around