Connect with us

Cricket News

Australia crush Sri Lanka to go top in World Cup

Published

on

Australia beat Sri Lanka by 87 runs.

London: Australia beat Sri Lanka by 87 runs in their 2019 ICC World Cup group stage clash at the Oval on Saturday. The victory took Australia to the top of the table with eight points, while Sri Lanka remain at fifth place with four.

Chasing a target of 335, Sri Lanka were bowled out for 247, despite a 115-run opening stand between Dimuth Karunaratne and Kusal Perera.

Australia’s charge to 334/7 was largely powered by captain Aaron Finch’s 153 off 132 balls, which was part of a 173-run stand between him and Steve Smith (73 off 59) for the third wicket.

Finch hit 15 fours and five sixes and also shared an 80-run opening stand with David Warner (26 off 48).

Finch was dismissed by Isuru Udana in the 43rd over after which Sri Lanka managed to get a grip on the game with frequent wickets.

Smith was dismissed in the next over and by the time the Australian innings came to an end, they had lost seven wickets with Glenn Maxwell (46 off 25) and Mitchell Starc (5 off 4) at the crease.

Sri Lanka made a strong start to the chase with captain Karunaratne and Kusal pegging back the Australian pacers and Maxwell.

Starc, however, got the breakthrough by taking Kusal’s middle stump while the latter was on 52 off 36 balls. Sri Lanka never managed to get a significant partnership after that.

Lahiru Thirimanne, who replaced Kusal, became Jason Behrendorff’s first World Cup wicket and Karunaratne was dismissed on 97 off 109 by Kane Richardson.

While the top three wickets contributed 186 runs to the Sri Lankan total, the rest only managed 61. Starc ended the innings with figures of 4/55 while Richardson took three wickets.

Pat Cummins was the man who took the final Sri Lankan wicket and ended the match with two to his name.

Brief scores: Australia 334/7  (Aaron Finch 153 (132), Steve Smith 73 (59), Dananjaya De Silva 2/40) beat Sri Lanka 247 (Dimuth Karunaratne 97 (108), Kusal Perera 52 (36), Mitchell Starc 4/55).

Cricket News

Delhi Police lodges cheating case against former cricketer Manoj Prabhakar

Published

on

manoj_prabhakar

New Delhi: The Delhi Police registered a case of cheating and trespassing against former cricketer Manoj Prabhakar, his wife, son and two others, officials said.

A senior police officer said that they had received a compliant from a woman, identified as Sandhya Sharma Pandit, who lives in London.

In her complaint, the woman claimed that she owns a flat on the second floor of an apartment in Sarvapriya Vihar in south Delhi. Prabhakar lives with his family on the first floor of the building. She alleged that Prabhakar broke into her house and illegally lodged his friend there.

In her compliant, the woman mentioned that the flat was purchased from a builder in 1995 by her husband Laxmi Chand Pandit. The couple lived in the flat till 2006 before they shifted to London. Later, the flat was used by some of her relatives. In 2018, her relatives vacated the flat and it had been locked since then.

According to the police, the woman said that she was informed by neighbours that someone is staying in her flat. In September, she came to Delhi and when tried to enter the flat, however, the occupant denied entry to her.

“The woman claimed that when she tried to raised the issue, she was threatened with dire consequences. She claimed that her flat was encroached upon by Prabhakar and others on the basis of forged documents, said the officer.

During initial investigation, the police found that Manoj Goyal, a property dealer, who is also one of the accused in the case has prepared forged papers and helped Prabhakar to occupy the flat.

“After going through initial investigation, a case has been registered at Malviya Nagar police station. We will call Prabhakar for questioning,” said a police officer.

Prabhakar has rejected the allegations made against him by the woman.

He said that he has been living in the flat on the first floor for the past 23 years and has never seen the woman. “We do not know anything about the woman. I don’t know who lives on the second floor,” said Prabhakar.

Continue Reading

Cricket News

Tendulkar expects good innings from Ganguly as BCCI President

Press Trust of India

Published

on

sachin- ganguly

Mumbai: Cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar is expecting Sourav Ganguly to play his role as BCCI President as passionately as he played the game during his extremely successful career.

Ganguly, who is the President of the Cricket Association of Bengal, is set to be elected unopposed BCCI President on October 23 at the Board’s Annual General Meeting.

“The way he played his cricket, the way he has gone out and served the nation, I have no doubt that he will serve (as BCCI President) in same capacity and in the same manner, with same passion and same focus. That is what I know of him,” Tendulkar, said.

Tendulkar was speaking at the launch of Road Safety World Series league, where he will lead the India team which will also feature Virender Sehwag, Zaheer Khan RP Singh and Ajit Agarkar.

“I will practice and all these cricketers are geared up. We shot a film yesterday, so everyone is charged up and it is a good feeling to be back on the field again after a long time but as I said earlier also, whenever you walk on the field the feeling is different,” Tendulkar, brand ambassador of the league, said.

The League will be played from February next year, to promote road safety.

“Something that we will look to relive our rivalries on the field and as you must have picked, we are good friends off the field we might be pushing each other on field and competing really hard but off the field we are good friends and that is what matters,” added Tendulkar, the highest run-getter in Tests and ODIs.

Asked how is looking forward to the Sachin-Sachin chant, Tendulkar said, “I had said that would reverberate as long as I breathe so here is another opportunity for me to experience that again. During IPL they (fans) have been kind enough to acknowledge and appreciate whenever I have walked on the field. They have shown their affection, and that is what I have prayed that this love and affection should continue as long as I breathe.”

Tendulkar also spoke on the importance of road safety and stressed that individuals should be disciplined.

“This (League) is a great platform for all of us cricketers and whoever associated with this tournament to spread this message that lives cannot be lost because of indiscipline and carelessness. We have to follow rules.”

Sehwag seemed excited to open with Tendulkar again and face the likes of former Australian pacer Brett Lee.

Other players who will be part of the League include former West Indies great Brian Lara, South African Jonty Rhodes and Sri Lanka’s Tillakaratne Dilshan.

League Commissioner and legendary cricketer Sunil Gavaskar also spoke on importance of road safety.

“Get more sports news, cricket news and football updates, log on to sportslounge.co.in. Follow us on Facebook or Twitter and Subscribe YouTube Channel.”

Continue Reading

Cricket News

“Frustrated” Markram punches object, injures wrist to be ruled out of 3rd Test

Press Trust of India

Published

on

Aiden

Ranchi: A “frustrated” South African batsman Aiden Markram was on Thursday ruled out of the third and final Test against India, having sustained a wrist injury after punching a solid object.

As per Cricket South Africa’s media release, “The injury took place following the opener’s dismissal in the second innings of the match. In a moment of frustration with his own performance, he lashed out at a solid object, resulting in his injury.”

South Africa have already conceded the series having suffered two heavy defeats in Visakhapatnam and Pune.

Markram has had a mixed tour of India. While he scored two hundreds in the practice games, he couldn’t carry forward his form into the Test series. After scoring 5 and 39 in the first Test, he was dismissed for a pair in the second.

“Standard Bank Proteas batsman Aiden Markram has been ruled out of the third and final Freedom Series Test match after sustaining an injury to his right wrist during the second match in Pune,” Cricket South Africa said in a release.

Team doctor Hashendra Ramjee said, “A CT scan of Aiden Markram’s wrist showed a fracture involving the wrist bones. The medical team has, therefore, ruled him out of the next Test match against India. Arrangements have been made for him to see a specialist on his return to South Africa for further management of the injury.”

Markram left for South Africa on Thursday morning. The team management hasn’t called up any replacement. The third Test starts here on Saturday.

A disappointed Markram admitted he has let his team down and said, “It’s sad to be going home on this note and I completely understand what I’ve done wrong and take full accountability for it.

“It’s unacceptable in a Proteas environment and to let the team down is what hurts me the most. I’ve learned a lot from this and the other players I’m sure, have learned from it as well.

“We understand in sport that emotions run high and sometimes the frustration gets the better of you as it did for me, but like I said, it’s no excuse.

“I’ve taken full responsibility for it, I have apologised to the team and hopefully I can make it up to them and the people of South Africa soon.”

“Get more sports news, cricket news and football updates, log on to sportslounge.co.in. Follow us on Facebook or Twitter and Subscribe YouTube Channel.”

Continue Reading

Top Picks