Lisbon: Lionel Messi‘s Barcelona suffered a historic humiliation against Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-final on Friday.
The German side hammered the La Liga giants 8-2 as Thomas Muller and Phiilippe Coutinho scored twice. FC Barcelona were on the end of their worst defeat in over 70 years.
Here are some interesting statistics:
- Bayern’s astonishing 8-2 victory against Barcelona ranks third on the all thime UCL list.
- The loss turned out to be Barcelona’s heaviest in European competition, surpassing the 6-2 defeat by fellow Spanish side Valencia in the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup in September 1962.
- Since their 8-0 defeat by Sevilla in April 1946, this is the first time Barca have conceded eight goals in a match.
- This is the first time since April 1951, Barcelona have lost by a six-goal margin. They were beaten 6-0 by Espanyol in a league match.
- Barcelona conceded fastest four goals in a UCL knockout match since Bayern scored four against Porto in 36 minutes in the 2014-15 quarter-final second leg.
- For the first time since 2004/05, neither Cristiano Ronaldo nor Lionel Messi will make an appearance in the Champions League semi-finals.