Connect with us

Football News

ISL: SC East Bengal unveil new logo, sign British medio and striker

Sayan Mukherjee

Published

on

SC East Bengal logo

Kolkata: Century-celebrating East Bengal club will play in the top-tier Indian Super League (ISL) as SC East Bengal, it was confirmed on Saturday.

The club also unveiled their new logo, comprising their distinguishable emblem of a flaming torch and the red and gold colour, with ‘SC East Bengal’ imprinted on it and announced the signings of Irish midfielder Anthony Pilkington and Welsh striker Aaron Joshua Amadi-Holloway.

The 32-year-old Pilkington has played for Norwich City in the English Premier League between 2011-2014, scoring 14 goalsin 75 appearances.

The former Manchester United U-18 player spent the next five years with Cardiff before moving to Wigan Athletic last year.

Amadi-Holloway joins SC East Bengal from A-League side Brisbane Roar. Both players have checked in at the team’s hotel and will undergo the mandatory quarantine procedure.

SCEB is the 11th team to play in the 2020-21 ISL, after Mohun Bagan and ATK formed a new entity named ATK Mohun Bagan FC.

EB’s entry into the top-tier league was facilitated after Shree Cement acquired majority stake in the red an gold brigade, founded in 1920. They floated a company named Shree Cement East Bengal Foundation and submitted bid papers seeking entry into the league.

Shree Cement own 76 per cent shares in the new entity, the remaining 24 per cent remains with East Bengal club.

“The club’s new logo retains the primary assets like the emblem of a flaming torch and its colours which showcases a merger between the rich legacy of East Bengal, its contribution to Indian football along with Shree Cement’s support to keep the flag flying high,” Shree Cement MD HM Bangur said.

East Bengal appoint Robbie Fowler as head coach, to play ISL as SCEB

“It’s a start of the new and exciting partnership for all of us with East Bengal, and we’re happy to share the evolution of the club’s logo.

“Our crest and brand identity has been a bold one, and I am sure that this will only take the legacy of the club forward,” he added.

Soon after ISL organisers Football Sports Development Ltd (FSDL) announced East Bengal as the 2020-21 ISL’s 11th participating team, the club confirmed the services of Liverpool great Robbie Fowler as coach.

“We’re proud to be presenting the new logo which salutes our rich footballing legacy, while embracing a modern outlook,” Shree Cement joint MD Prashant Bangur said.

The seventh edition of the ISL is likely to begin in November in a bio-secure environment in Goa. Fixtures for the tournament are yet to be announced though several teams have landed in Goa.

Fowler and his eight-team coaching staff reached their hotel in Goa on Friday and will undergo the mandatory COVID-19 quarantine period.

“Get more sports news, cricket news and football updates, log on to sportslounge.co.in. Follow us on Facebook or Twitter and Subscribe YouTube Channel.”

Sayan Mukherjee is the Content Head at Sports Lounge. He has over 10 years of experience in sports journalism (print and digital) having worked for some of the leading media organisations in the country including The Statesman, The Asian Age, IANS and Sports Illustrated.